Friday, April 3, 2009

We are HUGE in India

Just a quickie here tonight as it is late and I am in dire need of some sleep. Something happened to me today that I never expected and I think it's worth sharing here. I know that the vast majority of you reading this are Dawn's and my facebook friends. Many are friends in real life, but we have not met all of you in person. Dawn and I have recently gotten into Mafia wars in a big way. To "grow our mafia" we decided to post links to ourselves on several Mafia Wars groups. In order for someone to join your mafia, they first have to be a friend on FB. So all of a sudden we went from having 100-150 real life friends that were also FB friends, to having around 600 "close" FB friends who we have never or rarely chatted with. Then Mafia Wars added a feature called gifting. There are some "Rewards" you get added to your vault when you complete a task. You get rings, cigars, poker chips and playing cards along with a few others. The gifting feature allows you to trade with other players you have in your mafia. I went a little nuts with the trading. Sort of like I did with Baseball cards when I was a kid. Just had to have the whole set. I built up a bit of a rep as someone to talk to when you needed to make a trade. Made several FB friends who I actually talk to now.
One of these friends said hello to me tonight. He lives in India. I've also traded and chatted with someone in Singapore, England, Ireland...even Boston if you believe it. Oh yeah. Boston! Anyway, my friend from India... says hi. Asks if I need a card for my collection. I told him no. I've filled the whole set. He says "Cool. Me too." A few minutes go by and he says, Nice blog BTW. I like it. Dawn's too." I was happy he had checked it out, but it didn't sink in immediately what had happened. Something that Dawn and I had written was read in India. Never in my wildest dreams, or Dawn's for that matter, had we imagined that. I mean it's just a silly little blog, but still. A 21 year old guy read my writing on his computer screen in India. How flippin' cool is that?
John

1 comment: