Tuesday, April 7, 2009

If you could only see...

... the way she loves me, maybe you would understand. I know we said this blog was about goal setting and accomplishments, but I hope you'll excuse me if I ramble on about my best friend for a couple of paragraphs. I've never been a mushy, touchy feely, emotional kind of person. Dawn has changed me somewhat in that regard. In marriage number one, my guy friends were extremely important to me. I needed a whole lot of hanging out with the guys... poker games, going to a bar, golf, and bowling once a week. With Dawn, I really don't need that. We truly are each other's best friend, and I never believed that was possible between a man and a woman. I thought it was just an overused cliche, or that maybe some women believed it was possible, but never experienced it. The problem is, most couples form because of physical attraction, and as they age, maybe one of them doesn't have the same sex drive they did when they were in their 20s, and because of that, the relationship suffers. With Dawn and I, it was honestly "friends first." We weren't trying to get into each other's pants. We learned each other's likes and dislikes and how to make each other laugh. It was a great foundation to what has been a pretty amazing relationship.


Now just so you know, if you are married, and this doesn't sound like your relationship, I am not telling you to go looking for someone else! What I would tell you to do if you are in an uncommunicative relationship is... drum roll please... TALK TO EACH OTHER! Sounds tough right? Not. But, it's WAY easier said than done. Married people, or people in long term relationships tend to set a pattern after a few years and it gets exaggerated over time. It's almost like developing a habit. After the initial lovey-dovey portion of the relationship has worn off, lots of couples tend to take each other for granted. Stop right there! Don't let it happen. If it has happened, take some time to find the woman or the man you fell in love with once upon a time. Don't expect it to turn around overnight. Your partner will still be expecting the same relationship that you had the day or the week or the month before. If you keep putting forth the effort to bring your relationship to a new level, more than likely, your "better half" will respond in kind at some point.


Dawn and I talk to each other. It's become a habit to share each other's day. When it's been a bad one, we know to give some space... at least for a little while. We rarely fight, but when we do, it's not over a period of days where we are keeping it in and holding a grudge towards the other. I said this post was not about goals, but it really is. One of my most important goals is to have a happy marriage for "As long as we both shall live." Seriously. It's way higher than money or vacations or things. I want to be able to look back in 40 years and know that I did everything I could to make her happy. That I was the best husband I could've been. Because she's worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Very well said. Becky and I will celebrate our 16th anniversary this year. One thing that always amazes and troubles me, when talking to other couples, is that they can't believe that Becky and I don't argue. Occasionally (and I mean maybe once every other year or three) we have disagreements, but they are always short lived and never of any substance. These other couples seem to think that fighting and arguing all the time is normal. I feel bad for them and then feel so grateful for having found someone that is my true partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to post a comment to this one. Just a few things to say...

    First thought... David... you were right!!! wooHOOOOO!!! He loves me!!! :)

    Second thought... Thank you, Honey. We do have an amazing relationship. Starting out as friends and watching it grow was the perfect start for us. I wish everyone had that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Eric. It's good to hear that Dawn and I aren't freaks. We've been a couple since '01, and I think I could count the number of fights we've had on 1 hand. I think it's a choice for some people; they need the drama to spice up their lives or something. I'd rather be happy and laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to talk about communication, but some people don't have the temperament for it, IMHO. You can't force someone to share when they don't feel comfortable doing it. And you can't force someone to care about the minutiae of your day, if they're really not interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comment Janice. I agree with you that it can be very difficult. As I said, it's WAY easier said than done. I guess I could qualify that by saying that it's easier for some than others. Obviously not everyone is the same, and not all relationships are created equal, but I think, putting in the effort, especially if it is difficult for a person, will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete