Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Finally. A new post!

Sorry it's been so long. Easter came and went, and I got sick... again... so the blog wasn't exactly a priority for a little while. I'll put it in writing though, for those of you who have been asking me about this... and you can bring it up to me if I fall behind again... but unless there are extreme circumstances, I will post twice a week minimum from here on out.

We have been busy working on our project that we hinted at in earlier posts. Tomorrow night, we are taking some steps to further this project, so don't expect to see us hanging around on facebook. We are allowing ourselves half an hour to read our email etc. and then we shall be hard at work trying to launch our new business.

Part of the reason for the lack of posts here, I must admit, was a slight feeling of discouragement. We ran into some snags. With some help from a friend, and a few ideas of our own, I believe we have worked out a temporary solution to the issues. Here's the thing though. This "business" has an extremely low start-up cost, so it's very low risk, and has a pretty good potential to bring in some money. My original thoughts on it were that it would be highly profitable right away, but I've toned down my expectations a little. The thing is, if we net a profit of more than a few dollars, then everything else beyond that will be gravy. I'm hoping for lots of gravy, but will accept whatever comes from this. Then, if it doesn't turn into a money maker, I won't be crushed and afraid to try the next idea I get. Dawn and I will simply learn from it, and move forward.

Last point. The other night I had a few beers. I never drink enough to get drunk anymore, but a few beers will loosen my tongue. I was a little whiny at first I think. But then I said to Dawn, "We are two extremely capable people. At work, we are always the people who get things done. We are going to get things done for ourselves." We came to a decision about money. It's just a game. The paper it's printed on is not worth much more than the fancy stationery she keeps in her drawer. The number that the bank has in their computer that shows what we're worth is just a number. 1,234,567.89 It's just a number. That one over there is a whole lot bigger than the number that our bank has for us, but we know it's just a number; not the end-all/be-all of human existence. Money is just a game, like monopoly or Risk. I'm good at those. My attitude is changing. Maybe that's what I've needed for years.
John

No comments:

Post a Comment